Sharing a room for the first time
Is it for you?
Going to college meant two things for me: being away from home and sharing a room with a complete stranger. I choose to have a random selected roommate instead of rooming with a friend because I have heard many horror stories about friends that roomed together and were torn apart because of it.
This did not worry me at all until I finally found out who my roommate was. The days leading up to school was filled with many questions and unforeseen answers. At first my roommate seemed normal, my best friend said that we would not get along, but I knew it would work. Well the first few days did. Until she would say up and talk to her boyfriend on speakerphone (I finally became fed up with it and told her it had to stop), not cleaning her side (did I forget to mention I'm just a little OCD?), leaving food out, putting her stuff literally all over my desk, and then me walking in on her and her boyfriend doing "the deed".
This year has definitely shown me new things, not only about myself but that I cannot ever share a room again. I have come to the conclusion that I am just a single room kind of gal. I tend to be very neat and organized and if you are not, problems will arise. I love the room to be cold and the air being on at all times, my roommate finds it chilly when it is set at 80 and constantly turns it off in this hot Florida weather. I like to go to bed late and wake up early, she goes to bed at 9pm and sleeps in until noon nearly every weekend. These are just a few problems that I have run into this year thus far. Thankfully I have my sorority sisters to whisk me away from my room and my roommate.
Next year I am planning on getting a single because I seem to be more fit in a single. I am a very independent person and sharing a room is just not for me. I have to have time for myself and it is nearly impossible to do so with a roommate. Yes, I realize that I do not have it completely bad. But for someone who is the only girl and has never shared a room before, it was in for a huge change.
The stories I have to tell are very entertaining and I'm glad my roommate isn't into anything horrible, I just wish I took the time to think about if it would be a good idea to have chosen a single before my freshman year.
Here are a few tips that I use when I just need to get away from my room and clear my head.
The stories I have to tell are very entertaining and I'm glad my roommate isn't into anything horrible, I just wish I took the time to think about if it would be a good idea to have chosen a single before my freshman year.
Here are a few tips that I use when I just need to get away from my room and clear my head.
- Take a walk. Thankfully my school was named the most beautiful college campus.
- Grab a coffee. Starbucks will solve your problems.
- Go to the library. I enjoy going up to the quiet zone of the library with coffee in hand to go and read a book.
- Hang out with friends in their rooms. Thankfully my good friend lives just across the hall and knows when I need to get away
Hopefully this was somewhat helpful if you are in a similar situation.
Enjoy.
No comments:
Post a Comment